We are posting this blog early this week in celebration of the New Year! 2020 is going to be different right?! Wink, wink, hint, hint… It’s what we all say and what we all would like to believe. As for the journal, we are always experimenting, always thinking of what could be new, what theme we want this year, what kind of podcasts to record, what theme the coming journals will have. Will print finally arrive this year? Will our digital footprint expanded to something new? Will we add an editor to the board? Are we (editors) going to travel to the West and see more of the United States? An entire year of 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes and 31,536,000 seconds is a lot of time that goes by way too fast.
So here are some writing prompts and cool ideas to continue for this year, or to kick it off!
- Write a letter to yourself for the year 2020. Include resolutions, goals, or predict the future of where you will be, seal it in an envelope, place it somewhere safe, and don’t open it until the next year. Will you be right and have done what you wanted? How much did you change since writing that letter? You won’t know until Jan. 1. 2121!
- Buy a large mason jar or even a photo box, and some paper and cut them into squares, and everyday write something that was good or bad, a joke you learned, a pun you heard, a book you finished, a mile you ran, a puppy you got, a baby you bore, a place you ventured, a new recipe you created, a person you were grateful for having in your life, seeing your life flash before your eyes being stuck in a public bathroom stall, a piece of wisdom you got from karma, that ho, a thing you mastered, a moment you learned, a person you decided you would hate until the bell struck midnight, or a wizard you met while on the yellow brick road of life. Store them in this jar or box and next year, open it to reread your year.
- Cut a headline from a newspaper or magazine a day, store them in journal or book, map out the year that is and will become.
- Write down a resolution, a habit to change, a goal that was a dream on a sticky note, place it where you will see it every day, and then do it!
- Write down three resolutions on a slip of paper, but two of them are a lie. One of them you must keep. Keep this somewhere safe until next year, which are the two you won’t do?
- Take a photo in the same place every day for the year of 2020. Replay it back, what did the year look like? This is a great idea if you have kids or puppies that grow!
- Check out this site if you want to write a list, either a bucket or bullet list of things to do in the year to come: https://daringtolivefully.com/prompts-for-the-new-year
To all you go-getters and planners, or those moving like me at a snail pace and procrastinating until my world dies, I hope you have a great year to come! May the universe sprinkle a little luck on the planet named Earth.